Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Saint of the Day: St. Pancratius

Legend tells us he was born at the end of the third century and brought up by an uncle in Rome after the death of his parents. Both he and his uncle became Christians. Pancras was beheaded in 304 during Diocletian's persecution. He was only 14 years old.

St. Pancratius was buried in a cemetery, which was later named after him. He is especially venerated in England because of the Benedictine monk Augustine of Canterbury, who dedicated his first church in England after Pancras. The relics of St. Pancras were presented as a gift the king of Northumberland.

I grew up in a province with a chapel of this boy saint. And I must say, his story left an impression on me on how to be brave and steadfast in the Faith. His image is shown holding a book with the Latin words "Venite Ad Me et Ego dabo vobis omnia bona." which means "Come to me and I will give you all that is good." This text I believe came from Genesis 45:18. The Saint is shown with his right index finger pointing heaven ward suggesting that the promise in the open book he is holding comes from God. He is cloaked in a red cape similar to that of a centurion. He is also holding a palm leaf, indicating that he died a martyr.

These prayers implore St. Pancratius to intercede with God in our behalf. Also known as St. Pancras, he is the patron saint for the children. My grandmother (lola in Pilipino) and auntie (tita in Pilipino) told me that St. Pancratius is especially called upon by those seeking for work or a source of livelihood.


A Prayer To St. Pancratius
(Feast – May 12)



PRAYER TO THE ETERNAL FATHER

I BELIEVE, Heavenly Father, All that Faith teaches,
And in that Faith I wish to live and die.

Through the intercession of St. Pancratius
grant us good health to fulfill our duties.


(Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be)



PRAYER TO GOD THE SON

Our good Jesus, Grant me the virtue of Hope
In your promises, In the same measure
That St. Pancratius always trusted
In your Providence, So that I may,
Through his intercession, Obtain work and success
In all my undertakings.

(Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be)



PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT

Grant me the virtue of Charity That I may love God
Above all things, And my neighbor
For the love of God, As St. Pancratious did.

Through his intercession, I hope to obtain this grace
And that of being free from adversities
And from ill-intentioned persons.

(Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be)



CONCLUDING PRAYER

O GLORIOUS St. Pancratius, I beg you to obtain for me
All the graces that I need, But especially health and work,
So that I may appear before you To thank God
For the favors I received Through your powerful intercession.

Amen.
(Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be)

No comments:

Post a Comment