Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Very detailed coverage of the Pope's meeting with the press en route to the Vatican

Is Fr. Lombardi checking his pulse?  :D


From Andrea Tornielli of the Vatican Insider.


***

Journalists fired improvised questions at the Pope for one hour and twenty minutes. The Pope agreed to hold the press conference straight after take-off, despite how tired he was after an eventful World Youth Day week in Brazil. Francis surprised journalists with his willingness to answer all questions put to him, even those which touched on really thorny issues like the reform of the Vatican Bank (IOR), the Ricca case, the gay lobby, Vatileaks and even the content of the black leather bad he carried on to the plane which flew him to Brazil last week. This article captures some of what was said on the flight back to Rome today, a conversation which shows how truly at ease Francis is with journalists. It is clear he had decided right from the start to hold a press conference on the return flight instead of the outgoing one, so as to prevent his comments from overshadowing the World Youth Day events. This was further confirmation of the Pope’s ability to communicate and shows he does not need any spin doctors to bolster his image.  [Ehhhh....I think he needs a better spokesman rather than a spin doctor.  It doesn't sound right that the Church employs someone to spin issues, when it's main business is the TRUTH, CHARITY, MERCY, SALVATION.  Not lies.  Not spins.]


The IOR needs to change
“The cardinals had already set out the work that needed to be done in the pre-Conclave general congregations. The ethos of the work being done by the commission of eight cardinals – it was important they came from outside – is that of developing the relationship between synodality and primacy. The proposals for reform are many and they involve the Secretariat of State and of course the IOR. I intended to address this issue next year but the plan’s now changed due to the problems you are well aware of. How do we reform and put right what needs to be put right? I set up an “advisory” commission. I don’t know what is going to happen with the IOR: some say it’s better to have a bank others say it should be shut down. I trust in the work being done by the people employed in the IOR and the commission. I don’t know what the outcome will be: we have to try and see what works. But whatever happens to the IOR, what is needed for sure is transparency and honesty.”


The contents of the little black leather bag
“I took my bag onto the flight with me because I always do. What’s in it? My razor, my book of hours, my diary and a reading book. The book was on Saint Therese of Lisieux, whom I’m deeply devoted to. [Does the media even know what book of hours mean?  Would they care to spin this?] It’s normal to carry a bag, we need to be normal, we need to get used to being normal and I’m a bit shocked that the world took such an interest in the bag. Anyway, there was no nuclear bomb in it...”


Why Francis always asks people to pray for him
“I have always asked people to “pray for me”. When I was a priest I didn’t ask this as often. I started asking it more often when I became bishop. I feel I have many weaknesses and problems, I am a sinner too. This request is something that comes from within. I also ask Mary to pray for me. It’s a habit that comes from the heart. It’s something I feel I have to ask.”  [We all pray for one another and we all one another's prayer.  Bishops, priests and yes even the pope needs our prayers.  We always pray for him at Mass!  A pope needs our prayers just as a doctor would need another doctor or nurse or any health care professional once he gets sick.  Did you ever hear the leader of the Iglesia ni Manalo asking his members of the biggest Pyramiding Scheme in the Philippines aka INC to pray for him?  Nah.  He asks them to give him money, period.]


Changes and opposition in the Roman Curia
“Cardinals asked for changes to be made before the Conclave and it’s who I am. I couldn’t live by myself in the Apostolic Palace for example. The Papal Apartment is big but it’s not lavish. [Contrary to what the media says that it is too luxurious and lavish and kingly...] Still, I can’t live alone with just a small group of people. I need to be and meet with people. That’s why I said I couldn’t for “psychiatric” reasons: I wasn’t up to it mentally and everyone needs to be true to themselves. Cardinals’ apartments are also sober, at least the ones I have seen. We all have to live as the Lord asks us to. But all those who serve the Church should live a generally sober life. [He is not imposing.  That's who he really is.] In the Curia there are saints, bishops, priests, lay people, people who work. Many of them go to visit the poor in secret or minister in some church or other in their free time. But there are some who aren’t quite as saintly and these cases cause an uproar because one falling tree makes more noise than a forest that grows. [Especially if the one looking out for the noise of a crashing tree is a rabidly anti-Catholic pro-abortion, pro-LGBT agenda, Masonic inspired Western media!]  I feel hurt when things like this happen. We have one monsignor (Nunzio Scarano, a senior accountant at APSA (Administration of the Patrimony of the Apostolic See)) who’s in prison. He didn’t go to jail because he resembled the Blessed Imelda (an Argentinean expression which means he was no saint) I think the Curia’s gone a bit downhill. There used to be some old Curia members who were faithful and did their work. This is what the Curia needs. If there is any opposition I certainly haven’t seen it yet. It’s true I haven’t done much but I have found help; I’ve found some loyal people. I like people telling me when they disagree with something. These kind of people are the truly loyal ones. Then there are those who say they agree but behind your back say the opposite. I haven’t met anyone like this yet.”

Why Francis didn’t say anything about abortion and same-sex marriage during his trip to Brazil
“The Church has already addressed these issues and its position is clear. I needed to sound positive on my trip to Brazil.”  [Church of Nice?  :D  Now that he is not in WYD maybe he can be more specific this time?]

Why does referring to oneself as Bishop of Rome not mean being “primus inter pares”
“You mustn’t read between the lines. The Pope is a bishop; he is the Bishop of Rome, which is the centre of everything. It is the top title and then come all the others. But taking this to mean that the Successor of Peter is a “primus inter pares” means going further. Placing emphasis on the number one title, that is, Bishop of Rome, favours ecumenism.  [Hmmm...can't help reading between the lines here.]


A bishop’s and Pope’s job
“Being a bishop is great. But when one tries to become one, that’s a problem and it’s not such a nice thing. There is always the risk a bishop might consider himself superior to others; he might feel a bit like a prince. But the work a bishop does is wonderful: he has the task of leading faithful, being among them and behind them. I was happy as Bishop of Buenos Aires. I was very happy. I am also happy now I am Pope. When the Lord places you somewhere and you agree to do something he has asked you to do, you are happy.”


On future travels
“Nothing has been decided for sure. I hope I will be able to go and visit my Italian relatives in Piemonte. I’d like to go by plane just for one day. Patriarch Bartholomew has invited me to Jerusalem to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Paul VI’s meeting with Patriarch Athenagoras there. I have had invitations from the Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority. I won’t be going to Latin America for now: I have just been there after all. Argentina can wait for now. I do need to visit Asia, as Benedict XVI didn’t get a chance to. [He'll be in Cebu for the International Eucharistic Congress in 2016.  But he may decide to go to an Asian tour in the near future.]  On 30 November I was hoping to go to Constantinople for the Feast of St. Andrew’s but my schedule won’t allow it. I have an invitation to Fatima too.”

The Pope’s comment “I feel as if I’m in a cage”
“If only you knew how many times I wanted to take a walk through the streets of Rome! I used to love it. I was a “street priest”. But the Vatican police are really good with me; they have given me a bit more freedom.”  [He wasn't pope before and being head of state, head of government makes you different.  Trappings of the office, and yes, security comes with being pope.]


The Brazilian security issue
“Despite all the talk about the lack of security in Rio, there was not one accident during WYD week. Everything was spontaneous. Less security meant I was able to get close to people. I wanted to trust the people. Of course there was a risk of some madman being among them but the Lord was there too. I didn’t want the bullet-proof car because you don’t shield a bishop from his people. I prefer the madness of this closeness. It’s good for everyone.”  [It's his personality and probably his faith.]

On the Charismatic Renewal Movement
“At the end of the 70s, early 80s, I couldn’t see them. I once said they must confuse liturgical celebration with samba lessons! [LOL!] Then I got to know them better and I was won over. I saw the work that they did and I said mass for them in Buenos Aires every year. I think movements are necessary; they are a gift from the Holy Spirit. The Church is free; the Holy Spirit does what it wants.”  [Your Holiness, there is also a movement brought about by Summorum Pontificum...the Holy Spirit does want it too.]

On the special arrangements usually made for papal flights
“No special arrangements were made for me on this plane; there’s no bed. I either sent a letter or phoned to to say I didn’t require any.” (The Pope’s words confirm what Vatican Insider wrote recently, Ed.)

The role of women in the Church
A Church without women is like an Apostolic College without Mary. The role of women mirrors that of the Virgin Mary. And the Virgin Mary if the most important out of all the apostles. The Church is female because she is a wife and mother. The Church cannot be understood without the women that serve it. Here’s an example that has nothing to do with the Church: I see Paraguay’s women as glorious human beings. After the war (Here Francis refers to the bloody war between Paraguay and Brazil which took place between 1864 and 1870, Ed.) there were eight women for each man. And they chose to have children, save the homeland, their culture and their faith. This is how women should be conceived in the Church. We still do not have a theology of women. [Great!  As long as there is nothing about ordination!] We need to create one. The Church has discussed the ordination of women bishops and has decided against it. John Paul II gave a definitive answer to this so that door is closed. [BOOM!] But let us remember that Mary is more important than the bishop apostles, so women in the Church are more important than bishops and priests.”  [We have to analyze the last sentence in the context of what the pope reiterated about the big NO to women ordination.]


Francis’ relationship with “grandpa” Benedict XVI
“The last time there were two or three Popes in the Vatican, they didn’t talk to each other, they just fought to see who the real Pope was. I care deeply about Benedict XVI, he is a man of God, a humble man, a man who prays. I was so happy when he was elected Pope and then he decided to resign...I think he is quite something. Now he is living in the Vatican, some have been asking: isn’t he in you way? Isn’t he a hindrance? No, for me it’s like having a wise grandfather living with me. In a family, the grandfather is respected and listened to. Benedict XVI doesn’t meddle. For me it’s like having a grandfather around; he is a father figure to me. If I have any problems I can go and talk to him, just as I did with the serious Vatileaks issue... [woah!] When he met cardinals on 28 February to say goodbye to them, he said: the new Pope is among you and to him I pledge my unconditional obedience. He is an extraordinary man!”  [I think those close to him are the ones creating the wedge between him and Papa Benny. And this is so sad.  I would really feel that the issue against Benedict XVI is his strong conviction against those pushing the liberal agenda in the Vatican.  And they are probably hoping that electing Bergoglio to the Chair of Peter will somehow put to waste what Benedict did.  Well, the issue against the FFI and the TLM is another sad sad thing.  Maybe another oversight from the Holy Father who trusted his aides too much?  Reports had it that the cardinal prefect who issued the statement preventing the FFI to celebrate the Traditional Mass will be one of those who will get axed in the major revamp of the Curia.]


On giving the Sacraments to remarried divorcees
“This is an ongoing issue. I think this is the time to show mercy. Times have changed and the Church faces many problems, partly because of the negative testimonies of certain priests. Clericalism has caused a lot of wounds and these wounds need to be healed with mercy. The Church is a mother and in the Church we need to be merciful towards everyone. We shouldn’t just wait for the wounded to come to us, we need to go out and search for them. I think the time for mercy has come as John Paul II predicted by introducing the Feast of Divine Mercy. Divorced people can take communion, it is those who have divorced and remarried that cannot. [Honestly, I agree with this one.  And quite frankly, I think this is how the Church wanted it in the first place!  But I may be wrong.]  Here I must add that the orthodox follow the theology of economics and allow second marriages. When the commission of eight cardinals meets at the beginning of October we will discuss how to proceed. The Church is taking a very close look at pastoral initiatives for marriage. My predecessor in Buenos Aires, Cardinal Quarracino always used to say: “I consider half of today’s marriages to be invalid because people get married without realising it means forever. They do it out of social convenience, etc...” The issue of invalidity needs to be looked into as well.”  [Hmmm... I always here in the media about a certain personality getting divorced for psychological incapacity.  So, if he is psychologically incapacitated to get married, why marry again???  Yup.  The person who gets the divorce or annulment for that reason, gets married again?  And there is thing about homosexuals...  Lord have mercy!]

I still feel myself a Jesuit
“Jesuits must obey the Pope but if the Pope’s a Jesuit, who does he obey? His superior general? I feel like a Jesuit in spiritual terms; I think of myself as a Jesuit and I think like a Jesuit but not hypocritically.”  [FTW!  Hey Fr. Bernas, Fr. Tabora!  That one's for the both of you!]

Good and bad things about these past few months
“One good thing was the meeting with Italy’s bishops. My trip to Lampedusa was a painful experience but it did me good. It pains me to think of the people who died before reaching shore and who became victims of a global socio-economic system. But the worst thing that happened to me was a sciatica I got in the first month of my pontificate because of the seat I sat in to receive people. It was so painful; I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone! I have been surprised by how many good people there are in the Vatican.”

The Vatileaks scandal
“When I went to visit Benedict XVI in Castel Gandolfo, I saw a box and an envelope on one of the tables. Benedict XVI told me the box contained all the testimonies collected by the commission of three cardinals in change of looking into the Vatileaks scandal and the envelope contained their conclusions. Benedict XVI had memorised all of it. It’s a big problem but it doesn’t scare me!”



The Orthodox Churches
The Orthodox Churches have preserved the liturgy which is so beautiful. We’ve lost sight slightly of the meaning of worship. They worship God and they sing about it; time is immaterial to them. [The Divine Liturgy is almost the same as the Traditional Latin Mass Your Holiness.  Novus Ordo?  Nah!] One day we were speaking about Western Europe and they said that “ex Oriente lux” “ex Oriente luxus”, meaning that light comes from the East and consumerism and wealth which do a lot of harm, come from the West. The Orthodox Church preserves the beauty of God being at the centre of everything. When you read Dostoevsky you can really feel the Russian and Oriental spirit. We are deeply in need of this breath of fresh air, this light from the East.”  [John XXIII when he opened the Second Vatican Council said the same words "fresh air".  Hmmm...]


John XXIII and John Paul II's approval for sainthood
“John XXIII resembles a country priest who loves each one of his faithful and he has gone on doing so as bishop and as Nuncio. Think of all the fake baptism certificates he had made to save the Jews when he was in Turkey. He had a great sense of humour. When he was Nuncio, there were some in the Vatican who disliked him and made him wait round for ages whenever he came to Rome. He never complained once; he recited the rosary and prayed the book of hours. He was a gentle man. Twenty days before John XXIII died, Mgr. Agostino Casaroli went to tell him about his mission in one of the Eastern countries, Czechoslovakia or Hungary, I don’t quite remember. Before he left, the Pope asked him: “Do you still go and visit young people in prison?” Casaroli said he did. “Don’t ever abandon them!” He said that to a diplomat who had gone to talk to him about his mission. John XXIII is and was a great man. He convened the Second Vatican Council. Pius XII had intended to do this but the time wasn’t right. John didn’t think about whether the timing was right, he followed the Holy Spirit. John Paul II is one of the Church’s great missionaries, He went out and felt this burning fire; he was like St. Paul. This is why I consider him to be a great man. Canonizing them at the same time sends out a message to the Church: they are great men, they are great men... The original date for their canonizations was going to be the 8th of December but the poor people who can’t afford to fly would have to come from Poland by bus and the roads are icy in December. So we need to think of another date. We could do it on the Feast of Christ the King this year but this would be a bit difficult as it is too soon given that the consistory for the canonizations will take place on 30 September. Another possible date could be Divine Mercy Sunday next year.”  [Keep tab of the dates!]


The accusations made against IOR prelate, Ricca
“In the case of Mgr. Ricca (the IOR prelate who straight after being nominated, was accused of reckless conduct for certain acts committed 13 years ago during his time at the Nunciature in Paraguay, Ed.) I have acted in accordance with Canon Law and ordered an investigation. None of the accusations against him have proved to be true. We haven’t found anything! [Uh-oh...] It is often the case in the Church that people try to dig up sins committed during a person’s youth and then publish them. We are not talking about crimes or offences such as child abuse which is a whole different matter, we are talking about sins. If a lay person, a priest or a nun commits a sin and then repents of it and confesses, the Lord forgives and forgets. And we have no right not to forget, because then we risk the Lord not forgetting our own sins. I often think of St. Peter who committed the biggest sin of all, he denied Jesus. And yet he was appointed Pope. But I repeat, we have found no evidence against Mgr. Ricca.”  [Hmmm...he has a point.  But this is not a matter of putting someone immaculate or impeccable.  The position brings with it an issue of trust not only from the pope but also from the watching eyes of the public as well.  Can he be trusted to handle the position?  Who knows.  The buck stops at the table of Francis.]

The gay lobby
“There is so much being written about the gay lobby. I haven’t met anyone in the Vatican yet who has “gay” written on their identity cards. There is a distinction between being gay, being this way inclined and lobbying. Lobbies are not good. If a gay person is in eager search of God, who am I to judge them? The Catholic Church teaches that gay people should not be discriminated against; they should be made to feel welcome. Being gay is not the problem, [but if you live the gay lifestyle, then there is a problem.  The Church already spoke clearly about this!] lobbying is the problem and this goes for any type of lobby, business lobbies, political lobbies and Masonic lobbies.”  [Good thing he mentioned about the Masons!  BOOM!!!  Repent you Masons!!!]




Before you trust whatever the MSM publishes, look for other sources of information about what the pope or a cardinal or someone REALLY said.  You can really can trust them fully, like the 1970s ICEL.  Ha!

Personally, I hope the Holy Father stops this off the cuff, unscheduled interviews and comments.  His comments are usually taken out of context.  If he cannot stop it, he'd better fire this guy and get someone who is as media savvy as Dr. Navarro-Valls.


No comments:

Post a Comment