Brother Sir Knights in last year's March for Life
MANILA, March 19, 2010—The country’s biggest organization of Catholic men is ready for marches in several Philippine cities on Saturday to protest the government’s aggressive campaign for the use of contraceptives, organizers said.
Demonstrations and contraceptive boycotts are planned from across the country by the Knights of Columbus (KC) – Philippines calling for an end to such State policy.[This is consistent with the Knights resolve to be faithful to the Magisterium, not the one in that dreadful movie, The Golden Compass.]
A year ago, thousands of “knights” packed the streets of major cities from Luzon to Mindanao in a massive show of their clout.
The latest rallies come as lawmakers in Congress were debating on a measure that seeks to control the country’s growing population through the promotion of contraceptives like condoms and pills.
Government legislation that would have created what it touted as a measure on maternal health care failed last year because the Congress ran out of time to deliberate on the matter.
This year, protest organizers expect participation to be higher than the last in Metro Manila alone.
“We challenge the government to redefine its attitude to contraceptives,” said Alonzo Tan, KC Luzon Deputy, which is organizing a rally in Manila.
Tan said he expected some 5,000 to 6,000 protesters to march from Intramuros to Rajah Sulayman Park in Malate on Saturday morning, “but it’s difficult to say at this stage.”
The “Walk for Life” will kick off with a 6 a.m. concelebrated Mass at the San Agustin Church to be presided by Bishop Honesto Ongtioco of Cubao.
He said simultaneous rallies will also be held by KC followers in Baguio, Bayombong, Tuguegarao, Tarlac, San Fernando (Pampanga), Cebu, Iloilo and Davao.
The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic men organization with over 1.7 million members around the world. In the Philippines, it has around 250,000 members.
The government’s health department is currently pushing the use of pills and condoms to prevent unwanted pregnancies as well as to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS and unwanted pregnancies. [The Health Department NEVER pushed for education campaigns. So who would benefit from the condom drive? I used to work for and am working with government agencies and I know the "standard operating procedure" when dealing with government people. Does the Health Secretary wants us to believe that there are no kickbacks in this purchase of millions worth of condoms? Cut as some slack!]
“Like what others are saying, we believe that there’s no such thing as safe sex,” Tan added. [There is! Within marriage and with your spouse only. Now that is SAFE! No worries. Just be faithful!]
“Widespread and indiscriminate promotion of condoms is an immoral and misguided weapon in our battle against AIDS,” he also said. (Roy Lagarde/CBCPNews)
I am proud to be a Knight.
If you are interested, do contact me @ email@example.com